ENG: Advocacy Research Internship with the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU)
The IHEU is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to volunteer as an intern providing research assistance to our director of advocacy.
The IHEU’s advocacy programme currently concentrates most of its work at the UN (in Geneva and New York) and the Council of Europe (in Strasbourg), where it seeks to promote its human rights concerns and humanist policies. Part of its success in this aim relies on having high-quality and professional research as a basis for its submissions, interventions and advocacy in general. The research assistant would be instrumental in this area.
S/he will work under the guidance of the IHEU’s director of advocacy and assist her work via the
● Undertaking research tasks on relevant topics and providing briefing notes.
● Drafting written statements and submissions for the United Nations, Council of Europe and any other relevant institutions.
● Analysing and summarising UN and other legal / official documents.
● Liaising with IHEU members to use their knowledge and experience to feed into research.
● Exploring new opportunities for advocacy activities.
● Undertaking translation tasks, if able.
● Excellent understanding of, interest in, and demonstrable commitment to human rights and equality issues – particularly in the areas of freedom of religion or belief, freedom of expression, the rights of women, the rights of the child, and the rights of LGBTI people
● Excellent understanding of (and sympathy with) the philosophy and policies of the IHEU
● Good knowledge and background in international human rights law, international law, ethics or global justice.
● Familiarity (academic and/or practical) with the UN systems and standards.
● Good research, analytical and drafting skills.
● Good writing skills and an excellent command of English. Other languages (especially French, Spanish or Arabic) would be an asset.
● Well-organised and able to work independently.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and a short covering letter (referencing the skills and experience set out in the candidate profile) to IHEU director of advocacy, Elizabeth O’Casey (email@example.com), by 27th April and she will get back to you as soon as possible after that date.
Background: The IHEU and its advocacy work
IHEU: The organisation and its advocacy work
The IHEU is the global representative body of the humanist movement, uniting a diversity of non- religious organisations and individuals. Founded in Amsterdam in 1952, our vision is a Humanist world; a world in which human rights are respected and everyone is able to live a life of dignity. We work to build and represent the global Humanist movement that defends human rights and promotes Humanist values worldwide.
Headquartered in London, United Kingdom, IHEU is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) with representation on various United Nations committees and other international bodies.
We seek to influence international policy through representation and information, to build the humanist network, and let the world know about the worldview of Humanism.
As part of these aims we undertake advocacy activities that will contribute to influencing decision- makers, increasing publicity and representing and engaging with current members and appealing to potential members.
We focus on human rights, and particularly those that are threatened, abused or undermined by harmful traditional, cultural and religious practices. Currently this means we focus on Freedom of expression, freedom of religion or belief, the rights of women, LGBTI rights and the rights of the child. As well as speaking out of forms of discrimination based on race or nationality.